Friday, May 2, 2008

My New Job


I have started a new job at James Perse on Bleeker street in the West Village. So far it is proving to be a smart move from Anthropologie. Anthropologie was fun and I am thankful that it could be my first job in the city, but the only thing I will miss are the people I got to work with. I did not even use the discount that much. I have now worked five days at this new job and I already feel pretty comfortable. I like the overall atmosphere of James Perse. Very laid back. We do get the occasional customer who acts like they own the store but for the most part people are pretty down to earth. That is if you consider buying a fifty- five dollar t-shirt down to earth... maybe not. Anyway I am very appreciative to my friend Dana who basically got me this job. She trusted that I would not make her look bad and recommended me for the job. I'll do my best to not let her down. All in all it is a great job while I am in school and they are giving me plenty of hours for the summer so I can stay in the city!

I did not take these pictures but it's the front of our store none the less. Our theme right is northern California.


A few fun things about the job.
-Dogs love the store and we love the dogs. I get to give them treats and we always have a bowl of water for them.
-Free clothes and a great discount. If you want gifts from me tell me what you like. We have mens, womens, kids, and baby. Check out the website.
-I get to make a fool out of myself in front of celebrities. Quick story. We were very busy and I was just tidying up the showroom when I noticed that Liv Tyler was in the store. I told myself to be cool. It looked like she needed help so I asked her if I could help her with sizes. She said, "well I am looking for this one scoop neck t-shirt." I replied, "oh it is over here, do you know what size you are looking for? one, two..." (we have one through four in shirt sizes) "Oh no, three." then she said something about being pregnant and motioned to her stomach. I said "how many months do you have left?" She looked at me and said loud enough for all to hear, "What? I'm not pregnant." All eyes were on me looking at me like I was a fool. Whatever, she confused me. She was extremely nice though and bought a lot of t-shirts. And it just so happened that our playlist played two Aerosmith songs back to back while she was in the store. She just sang along.
- Its in one of my favorite parts of the city, the West Village. We are right next to Magnolia Bakery and one my favorite eateries, Westville. I take anyone who comes to visit me to Westville. It's a tiny place, it's not pretentious and it has delicious food.

4 comments:

becca said...

pretty sure i walked in there once during a lunch break walk around the village.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the update!! We can't wait to see you!!
Love, Mom

Jenni said...

I can't wait to hear all your work stories. You have such a happening life in New York.

Brad said...

Hillary it is so great to be able to see what it like where you are. In that crazy world that is New York. I really hope Jenni and I can come out and spend some time with you there. If I had a t-shirt from your store you think I could get away with wearing it to work. If people give me a hard time I'll just tell them how much it costs.

Keep up with the blogs. I understand you are done with final really soon. Good luck and thanks for being my wife's best freind. For you I'm ok with that.

Bradly