Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lightning

One of my all time favorite New York moments happened last night. I turned out the lights in my apartment, sat in the dark and watched the New York sky glow with constant flashes of lightning. It was one of the best thunderstorms I have ever experienced. The spire of the Empire State Building was lit behind the church out my window. I saw lightning connect with it at least five times. Sometimes I feel so separated from nature in the city but last night brought me back to the times I would sit on my front porch, wrap up in a blanket, and watch the mountains light up in the midst of a thunderstorm. Do I sound corny? Definitely.

View from my window.

4 comments:

-Laura- said...

I love lightning storms too. Sounds amazing!

Jenni said...

That would be pretty cool to see! I am glad you could feel some connection with nature.
I have missed you so much lately. I wish I could just hop on a plane and come visit you. That was corny too but it is true!

kay said...

That's so neat that you could see lightning hit the Empire State Bldg. Thank you for the photo. I can picture it all and thanks for sharing the experience.
I love you!
Mom

Brad said...

Hillary I am with you on the whole lightning thing. On memorial day when I was riding in the big thunder storm (while my wife was in full-fledged worry mode) I really enjoyed the sound of thunder rolling above my head. I think my favorite things are BIG storms. BIG lighting. Ear shattering thunder. It really does connect you with nature.